“I will establish my covenant between me and you, and your offspring after you throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you.” (Genesis 17:7)
Greetings, all! The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
There isn’t a whole lot for me to say with this community letter. Many of you might breathe a sigh of relief for that (haha)! With Lent and with our health unit’s recent switch back to the “colour coded” system, there is much to discern. This is a time where we are to commit to conversation with God. When we talk with one another and reach out to our communities, we will have reflected deeply on our call to care for the most vulnerable and make God’s love known.
For those feeling tired and worn, know that God is with you, sustaining and guiding you. God established a covenant with God’s Peoples, an enduring love. God is being God to us during this time of trial, but also in the blessed times to follow. And we can help make sure God’s enduring love is made known throughout our generations, by setting an example of Christian love in our lives of discipleship:
- At this time, we will not be having in-sanctuary worship. This decision comes from the feedback we got from congregants in November about wanting to wait until there are fewer restrictions (Yellow and Green Zone), and the call from the health unit to continue avoiding gatherings where possible. However, discernment will continue over the next few weeks to see what the numbers bring.
- Our Zoom Psalm and Prayer Study is underway, but you are still welcome to join in! The main focus of these sessions is exploring how to incorporate Psalms and different prayer practices into your individual lives of faith. And be sure to invite others in the community as well to join! Sessions are on Tuesday evenings at 7 p.m., and Thursday mornings at 10:30 a.m.; this study will run for five weeks.
- Our Zoom Fellowship Times continue on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings from 10:30-11:30. Folks can join in electronically or by phone. If you do not have the links or codes, be sure to reach out to Alex.
- Previous lesson and craft packages of our Youth Ministry from the past several weeks are still available for families to pick up or get delivered to them. Reach out to Alex for more details. Weekly Youth Ministry online lessons are starting up again.
- Many thanks to our Lay Pastoral teams who are checking in with congregants and friends, and making sure that they are connected to the happenings of our congregations. If you know of someone who might enjoy a call, or who may need pastoral care from Alex, be sure to reach out!
- A generous community member has offered to the Brussels Ministerial occasional home-cooked meals to those who need it. If you know of someone or a family who might benefit from the occasional home-cooked meal, please reach out to Sandra Cable.
Sunday, February 28th, 2021 – Second Sunday of Lent/Black History Month service available on Youtube.
Sunday, February 28th, 2021 – Online Youth Sunday School session from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Packages can be picked up outside of either church building. Contact Alex for more information.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021 – Zoom Fellowship session from 10:30-11:30. Please check your email for the Zoom link or phone passcode, or email Alex for details. Note – Alex will not be attending this session.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021 – Psalm and Prayer Study Group on Zoom at 7:00 p.m. Contact Alex for more details.
Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021 – Brussels Ministerial Zoom meeting from 9:30-10:30.
Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021 – Zoom Fellowship session from 10:30-11:30. Please check your email for the Zoom link or phone passcode, or email Alex for details. Note – Alex will be late to this session.
Thursday, March 4th, 2021 – Psalm and Prayer Study on Zoom at 10:30 a.m. Contact Alex for more details.
Sunday, March 7th, 2021 – Third Sunday of Lent service available on Youtube.
Blessings and Christ’s Peace be with you all!
Student Minister – Blyth and Brussels United Churches
Blyth Office Number: 519-523-4224
Brussels Office Number: 519-887-6259
Emergency Pastoral Number: call/text 705-344-3385
Feature Photo by Pavel Brodsky on Unsplash